Our Services >> Our services  A   A   A 

The legal clinic can advise you in the following areas of the law:

  • Tenant's rights
  • Social assistance - Ontario Works
  • Social assistance - Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Canada Pensions Plan - Disability 
  • Employment Insurance denials
  • Employment Standards

(This list may be modified at any time.)

Legal advice is generally provided over the phone regardless of financial eligibility. Please note that we do not advise landlords. They can communicate with the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234, the Landlord's Self-Help Centre at 1-800-730-3218 or a private bar lawyer.

If we decide to represent individuals in courts or tribunals like the Landlord and Tenant Board or the Social Benefits Tribunal, they must meet our financial eligibility criteria.

We can also refer you to appropriate services such as:

  • the Ontario Legal Aid certificate program
  • private bar lawyers - Lawyer Referral program 
  • social services
  • government programs
  • community organizations

Since April 2003, we offer duty counsel at the Landlord and Tenant Board. Tenants who appear before this Tribunal without representation can obtain legal advice and/or limited representation from the duty counsel lawyer.

We offer presentations and information sessions on the rights of disadvantaged people at the demand of organizations. Also, we promote law reform and community development.

We do not offer services in family law (divorce, separation, custody, support, etc.), provincial or criminal offences. These services are offered by the private bar lawyers.  To apply for a legal aid certificate for these areas of practice call Legal Aid Ontario at 1-800-668-8258.